Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Chewy Coconut Cookies

Good afternoon blog readers! I hope you are enjoying your day! It is nice and warm in my neck of the desert. Call me weird, but I am totally ready for cooler temps. It happens every summer and winter. Half way through both seasons, I'm ready for the opposite temperature. I would never be able to live in an area where it is either hot all year, or cold all year. I like both. So sorry, but bring on the cool weather!!
Another thing I really love is coconut! I would eat coconut at every meal, no joke, along with pineapple, YUM!! I have a very simple yummy dessert that involves both, that I will share soon!! For now, you can enjoy these delicious cookies, that my husband and I both could not stop eating!
Chewy Coconut Cookies
I got this recipe from this site. I changed a couple things that I will note in parenthesis.



Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup butter( I didn't have enough butter so I used half butter half oil)
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar(I used sweetened coconut, and this recipe doesn't specify sweetened or not, so I decided to cut the sugar in half.  I used 1/4 cup packed brown sugar)
  • 1/2 cup white sugar(I used a 1/4 cup white sugar)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract(I used 1tsp vanilla)
  • 1 1/3 cups flaked coconut(I used sweetened coconut)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small mixing bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt, stir, and set aside.

In a medium bowl, cream the butter(or oil. I even contemplated applesauce to make it healthier but then decided I didn't want anything taking away from the coconut!), brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth. I didn't want these cookies to be overly sweet, so I cut the sugar in half.  My husband and I think they came out perfect for our taste.  If you want them on the sweeter side, add the full amount of sugar.

 Add the egg, and vanilla.
Beat until light and fluffy. Slowly add in flour mixture.
Add the coconut, and mix together.  The batter will be really thick, and that is normal.


I read some reviews, and a lot of people said their cookies went flat when baking, and they are supposed to stay nice and puffy, so I did what a lot of them said, and let the batter sit in the refrigerator for about ten minutes.  The recipe also says to drop by teaspoon size onto ungreased cookie sheet, but I used a tablespoon.  That meant the cooking time was longer, and actually made the bottoms a little more brown then I would have liked.  You can make them whatever size you want, and also turn down the heat if the bottoms are browning faster then the are cooking.


Bake at 350 degrees, for 8-10 minutes if using teaspoons, and quite a bit longer for tablespoon size.  Also don't forget to check them, and see if they are browning too much, if so turn down the heat a little. Enjoy! We sure have been loving these cookies!  I can't wait to try more coconut recipes!


Question of the Day:

What is your favorite cookie??

You know I really shouldn't ask these types to questions, because then I sit, and really rack my brain trying to figure out my favorite! Hmmm, these cookies were really good, and I love oatmeal raisin cookies, and chewy chocolate chip....and...and.... :)
Hope you all have a great rest of your day! Talk soon!

1 comments:

Thank you for stopping by! Please come back soon!