Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Homemade Flour Tortillas

First off, HAPPY NEW YEAR!  I hope you all had a great New Years Eve, and I hope this year will be the best yet!  Let's start the new year off with a simple recipe shall we?! And a great one at that! Like I have said before my hubby loves flour tortillas, and we have always bought them at the store.  Truthfully, I've never even thought about making them at home.  I am so glad I ran across this recipe while I was browsing online.  I literally read the recipe, jumped up, and whipped them right out.  So few ingredients, and easy to make.  I didn't even know what I was going to make with them, I just knew I wanted to eat one warm right out of the pan, so you will see at the end of the recipe, what I did with my first warm tortilla!  By the way, we loved these.  Of course they have a totally different taste then store bought tortillas, and that is the best part, not to mention fewer ingredients(as to which you can pronounce).  I am determined to make these whenever I need tortillas at home.  I can't wait to stuff these full of all sorts of food!  Try them!
Don't mind the tortilla on the bottom that has pieces missing...I couldn't keep my hands away! NOM!

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Rest Time: at least 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 12
Difficulty: Easy

Homemade Flour Tortillas
Ingredients: (I halved the recipe when I made it)
  • 3 cups All-Purpose flour
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • ½ tsp Baking Powder
  • 1/3 cup Canola Oil
  • 1 cup hot water


Preparation:
In a medium mixing bowl mix together flour, salt, and baking power. 


 Add in Canola Oil, and mix together with your fingers until well incorporated, and it resembles little crumbs.



Add in hot water, and mix together until a ball forms.



Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
*remember this is only have a batch in these photos
Remove from refrigerator and separate dough into 12 equal pieces(6 in my case)


Roll each ball out on a floured surface one at a time.  The first time I made these I rolled one out, and cooked it.  While I was cooking it I rolled out the next one and so on.  I wasn't sure about stacking them together before cooking them.  The second time I stacked them, and they were sticking slightly, so it's up to you on how you do it.
Roll them out thin, and in the best round shape you can(I was really bad at that!)


Place in an ungreased pan that is already at temperature(medium-high heat)


Bubbles will form and that is good.  Check the bottom and flip when there are dark spots.



Stack tortillas on top of each other under a paper towel, and serve warm!
Delicious!


Here is what I did with my first one out of the pan...MmmMmm
smear on a little bit of butter, and let it melt.


Sprinkle on some sugar.


and some cinnamon


And there you have it! A quick and delicious snack!


Enjoy!!

I found the tortilla recipe on Tasty Kitchen
Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Please come back soon!