Sunday, October 27, 2013

Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup

So I have to admit that the title "Chicken Tortilla Soup"  never sounded very appealing to my Husband or I.  I really couldn't tell you why either, maybe thoughts of soggy tortilla in a soup.  My Husband isn't a fan of soggy bread of any sort, so soggy corn tortillas-a no go.  Even though it has never sounded very appealing to either of us, I have really wanted to make it, weird I know.  So I did!  And boy am I glad I did.  My Husband even LOVED it!  I am really glad that I didn't let the thoughts of soggy tortilla bother me to not make this.  They tortillas soften, but I wouldn't say they get soggy.  Mine stayed a little chewy which was nice.  This soup has VERY good flavor!  It is totally different than any soup I have made.  It has it's own unique flavors, that are awesome!  I love how simple this recipe is, and by the looks of it, people would think you slaved in the kitchen all day! I will definitely make this again, and share with my whole family. 

Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup

I don't have a final picture of this soup :( I actually made this a while ago, and searched for the recipe forever, come to find out it was in my drafts waiting to be published on here! I'm publishing it now, so I never lose this recipe again!


Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Cook Time: 5-8 hours in Crock Pot(not including cooking the chicken)
Servings:  6-8
Difficulty:  Easy-Medium

Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
Ingredients:
  • 3 Chicken Breasts, cooked, and shredded(I boiled mine)
  • 1 (15 oz) can Tomatoes, petite diced
  • 1 (10 oz) can Mild Enchilada Sauce
  • 1 Medium Onion, chopped
  • 1 (4 oz) size Chopped Green Chilies
  • 1 Clove Garlic, minced
  • 1 cup Water
  • 1 (14.5 oz) Chicken Broth
  • 1 tsp Ground Cumin
  • 1 tsp Chili Powder
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
  • 1 Bay Leaf
  • 1 (10 oz) package Frozen Corn
  • Olive Oil for spritzing on Corn Tortillas
  • Corn Tortillas
  • Mexican Cheese Blend, shredded, for topping

Cook Chicken, and shred.  Add to Crock Pot.

Add in the next 13 ingredients: tomatoes, enchilada sauce, green chilies, garlic, water, chicken broth, ground cumin, chili powder, salt, black pepper, bay leaf, and frozen corn.








Stir it up, and cook on low for 5-8 hours(mine was done in 5 hours, but you can leave it the whole time if you are working) Or on high 3-4 hours.  When done, remove Bay Leaf.

I used 1 corn tortilla per person.  Cut the corn tortillas into strips, a little less than 1/2 and inch wide.  Spray with Olive oil(I used my handy dandy Misto-LOVE!) and sprinkle salt on top.  Bake in 400 degree oven for about 5 minutes or until nice and crispy.  Flip tortillas strips half way through. 



Serve with corn tortillas, and cheese sprinkled on top. YUM!

Give this a try, you won't be disappointed :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Please come back soon!